“New and Improved – What is Multimedia learning?”

What a wonderful post Carly! I really enjoyed reading about your goals for this course and your positive personal experiences with multimedia. I was able to make a quite a few connections within your post but I think the portion of your post where you discussed the importance of student choice and voice within their own learning resonated with me the most. I also believe that  success is better achieved when students are able to have a voice in what they are learning and they are able to display their knowledge in a way that is meaningful to them.

“The student-centred approach that accompanies multimedia learning is crucial due to the way it is created based off of how people learn (Heemskerk, 2020).” This statement opened my mind to new connections and realizations. I hadn’t quite made the connection between student choice or student centered learning to multimedia, but this comment allowed me to realize that with multimedia, with its ability to provide multiple modes of delivery and presentation, students can explore their personal learning preferences and find new ways of learning and presenting that work for them.

I think you might enjoy this article I found that connects the use of educational technology and student voice! Check it out!

Educational Technology and Student Voice: Examining Teacher Candidates Perceptions.

Photo by Kaleidico on Unsplash

Article Reference:

Byker, Erik & Putman, S. & Handler, Laura & Polly, Drew. (2017). Educational Technology and Student Voice: Examining Teacher Candidates’ Perceptions. World Journal on Educational Technology: Current Issues. DOI: 6. 119. 10.18844/wjet.v6i3.1687.

Heemskerk, C. (2020). [web log post] retrieved from https://carlyheemskerk.opened.ca/2020/06/05/new-and-improved-what-is-multimedia-learning/